Babajide Koku & Co. has extensive experience in the area of Shipping & Admiralty. Over the
years, the Firm has followed the developments in this field of law and has prosecuted matters
to the apex Court, successfully challenging judgments in our clients favour, with a number of
those cases now the authorities on principles of law.
Our Team is nimble and well experienced in the many varied dynamics and even dangers that can arise from carrying cargo by sea. Having been external counsel to DanaAir Ltd, Arik Air Ltd and advised on other aviation matters over the years, the Firm has also garnered knowledge and skill in matters relating to Aviation law.
Together with our representation of clients engaged in commercial trade of goods ranging from electronics to petroleum products, Babajide Koku & Co is knowledgeable both to provide advice in non-contentious matters, and is adept and well renowned for its strengths in litigation.
Our comprehensive legal services in respect of Shipping & Admiralty include:
- Legal frameworks and compliance, registration, licenses, government charges and dues.
- Disputes between shippers or charterers and governmental agencies, Charter party disputes, cargo claims arising out of carriage by land, sea or air.
- Bills of Lading disputes, Liens and Arrests, Salvage and Collision, Environmental Pollution and liability claims, General Average.
- Vessel purchase and finance, due diligence and registration of vessels and shipping companies
- Drafting and Review of Contracts for carriage of wet and dry cargo by sea and air.
- Marine Insurance, Ship Sale and purchase Contract, Ship Mortgages, Trade Finance and Letters of Credit, Commercial Shipping, International Trade and commodity Transactions, Shipping-related Personal Injury claims and matters relating to Cabotage.
As well as, the processes for financing & re-financing, debt recovery, contractual breaches, criminal charges and more that can occur in matters of transportation law and international trade.